Monday, December 5, 2016

Jesus And The 12 Tribes Of Israel

Ever wondered if Jesus was Jewish, or who the 12 tribes of Israel were? In the following post we'll go over some of the details surrounding these questions. Many people argue about lineage, but the scriptures are already clear. Jesus is of the lineage of Israel, and thus in essence, was of the Jewish line when it comes to his mother. This is not of course to say Jesus relates himself to being Jewish, or any other lineage.

The following video sums it up quite well.

Abraham, Jacob, and Joseph


The video talks about a promise to Abraham, saying through him all families of the earth will be blessed.

Gen. 12:1-3
"Now the Lord had said to Abram: Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

One might wonder, how can one man, who didn't father all people, be a blessing unto the whole world?

The answer comes from Lineage. We find that Abraham was the father of Isaac, whom was the father of Jacob. The lineage continues, but we'll take a bit of a break to say, Jacob becomes the man who wrestled God!

Genesis 32:24-28
24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

 You might wonder how one can wrestle God. Some would say there is no God, no one has seen God!

The should be urged to look.

On the first page of this YouTube search many people have SEEN God.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=man+sees+jesus

To put it bluntly there has NEVER been a time when man did not hear, see, and interact with God. God has been with his chosen, and will not forsake them.

Imagine being the man who wrestled God. Now, Jacob didn't win, and God injured his leg permanently, but God also blessed him, saying that he will no longer be called Jacob, but Israel. Now Jacob, or rather Israel, had 12 sons, which are the 12 tribes of Israel.

These are the 12 ancient divisions of Jewish lineage.

We can follow this lineage all the way to king David, through Judah (one of the 12 sons), and find his promise from God:

2Sa 7:11  And as since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused thee to rest from all thine enemies. Also the LORD telleth thee that he will make thee an house.
2Sa 7:12  And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
2Sa 7:13  He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.
2Sa 7:14  I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
2Sa 7:15  But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.
2Sa 7:16  And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.
2Sa 7:17  According to all these words, and according to all this vision, so did Nathan speak unto David. 

We can continue the lineage from David to Mary, and of Mary we have Jesus.

The great blessing to all families through Abraham!

No comments:

Post a Comment